Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Best Guacamole

I know, I know...you're not supposed to say your dish is the best. It's the kiss of death or something like that. But this REALLY is THE best guacamole! I have played around with several variations over the years, and this is the one that gets the most raves, the most "We're having a pot luck this weekend, can you bring YOUR guacamole?" I love it! It's a tortilla chip's best friend! And here at our house, we serve it up on all kinds of dishes. Don't be afraid to try it on your burger, on some grilled chicken, tacos, and of course, Carne Asada. So good! Enjoy!

Ingredients:
6 ripe Hass avocados
3 Tbs fresh squeezed lime juice
1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
1 serrano pepper, sliced thinly into rounds
1/2 of a white or red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, (about a handful finely chopped)
1/2 tomato, chopped
1 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
Halve the avocados and remove the pit. Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh into a medium sized mixing bowl. Use a fork to mash them; I like to leave mine a little chunky. Add the remaining ingredients and gently stir everything together. Taste to see if you would like more salt. If the serrano is too warm of a pepper for you, a jalapeno is a nice alternative. Set one or two of the avocado pits in the center of the dip. Place some plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the guacamole. (This keeps it from browning, It's the air that causes the discoloration.) Chill for at least an hour before serving.

Blogs I have shared my dish with: DJ'S Sugar Shack,  A Little NoshJam HandsCrumbs And Chaos

Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. Perfect timing! I was planning to make chicken fajitas for dinner tonight and have a bunch of avocados ripening on the counter. This will be a perfect accompaniment!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks delish, i have a friend that makes the best guacamole and i just can't get it right :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks wonderful! I'll be whippin' this up soon!
    Newly following!
    Kristy @ Cup of Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice use of avocado. It would be super if you linked this post in to Food on Friday Series which is all about avocado this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure if it's a myth or not, but I heard if you put the pit in the guac. it helps to keep it from turning brown. I thought that's why you placed the pit in the middle. I like it as decoration, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy this looks so good. I need to try it soon.

    Love your blog

    Check out my food blog if you haven't already :)

    www.thedailysmash101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! My daughter and I love guacamole! Gonna try your version. Serrano peppers is one type I haven't made it with yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM - love guacamole! I just started adding cilantro - makes it taste so fresh! I could eat this whole bowl...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love good guacamole. I've never put cilantro in mine. Guess it's time! Thanks for sharing this at my Must Try Monday party!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...