Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Ramen Chicken Salad

This is one of my "go to" dishes for potlucks and parties. There's just something SO good about the combination of cabbage, green onion, and crunchy ramen noodles. Tossed in a tangy Asian style dressing, it's pretty hard to resist! (There are never any leftovers!) It's one of those recipes that has been around for years; a "friend of a friend" type of dish. 
Perfect for Spring and Summer!


I like to add the ramen and almond mixture just before serving so that the noodles stay crunchy. Once the salad has been stored in the fridge, the noodles will soften. So keep that in mind if you are taking this to a potluck or BBQ. Just store your noodle/almond mix in a ziplock bag and mix it in right before serving. Also, a rotisserie chicken from your grocery store deli is the perfect amount of chicken for this dish. Huge time and preparation saver! *Or you can leave the chicken out altogether and serve as is. Still delicious! (promise)

P.S. If you have been following my blog, you are not seeing double! This is a re-post. With Summer just around the corner, and all the new visitors to my blog, I wanted to give this dish, and post, a little face lift. It's too good not to share...and share again!


Ingredients For Salad:
2-4 cups cooked chicken, chopped
1 head cabbage, shredded or chopped
1 bunch green onions, finely sliced
1-2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds *Or substitute with sunflower seeds
3/4 cup slivered almonds
2 packages ramen noodles
3 Tbs canola oil *can also use vegetable oil

Ingredients For Dressing:
3/4 cup canola oil *can also use vegetable oil
4 1/2 Tbs seasoned rice vinegar
4 1/2 Tbs sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

Directions:
In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing; set aside. *It does not need to be chilled. Crunch up the ramen noodles (discarding the season packet). Pour your 3 Tbs of vegetable oil in a skillet, and toast the noodles over medium heat. When the noodles are lightly browned, add the slivered almonds, toasting for a few minutes until lightly browned as well. *It's important not to brown the almonds at the exact time you brown the ramen. The almonds brown quicker and will burn. Remove from heat and let cool on a plate. In a large salad or mixing bowl, add the shredded cabbage, onion, chicken, and seeds. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Add in the ramen and almond mixture; gently tossing to combine and coat.
Serves 8
Pin It!

24 comments:

  1. Thanks for the follow! :) returned the favor. Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leslie -

    Your recipe looks great! I was craving ramen noodles earlier this week. Haven't had them since college lol!

    I'm your newest follower. Follow me back if you'd be so kind at http://www.kidcultivation.blogspot.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm on my way over to blog right now!

      Delete
  3. I just passed an award on to you! Come visit and check it out! dahlingkadie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Easy, healthy and delicious--now that's my kind of recipe! This sounds fantastic. I can see why you make it often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wondering how many weight watchers points this would be. Anyone have an ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  6. CONGRATULATIONS!!!Your recipe is being featured today at Menu and Party Idea Round Up from Cast Party Wednesday #40!
    http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/?p=29095
    Thank you for sharing your recipe with us!
    Have a GREAT week---Sheryl---

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great! Thanks for sharing this with us @ the Sunday Round Up.
    Hope you have a wonderful week,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, looks & sounds delicious! Thanks so much for sharing at Sunday Round Up. Have a great week!
    -Kayla :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love a good salad! This looks so delicious.
    Thanks for sharing at our Sunday Round Up! Can't wait to see what you have for us next weekend. Have a GREAT week!
    xoxo
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks really good! Thanks so much for sharing at Must Try Monday, and thanks for putting the button on your sidebar. I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It took a me a few days to figure out the whole button thing. Hope I grabbed the right one! :)

      Delete
  11. This looks so good and the recipe is easy. Can't wait to try it!! We are so happy that you linked up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday" and we hope you see you back next week!! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting! I absolutely love your blog! :)

      Delete
  12. OMG - the picture alone makes me hungry and the recipe sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing this at Sunday Blog Love...this will be featured as one of my favorites this weekend. Please stop over and join me again this weekend, take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terry! And thank you for the upcoming feature! I will be leaving on Sunday for a mini vacation with my husband. I'll check before I go to see if I can link up. If not, I will for sure pop in when I get back! Thanks again! Have a super great weekend! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...