Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Chicken Burritos (Slow Cooker)


I like to keep my kitchen cool in the summer by using my slow cooker. So I thought I would share with you my converted version of chicken burritos. (Typically this is a stove top dish.) Incredibly delicious and very simple to make!

You can use this mix for burritos or tacos. I went with burritos, that way there are no shells to fry. (Keeping things cool.) Sometimes my husband  likes to serve it over rice. And when it's REALLY hot out, I like to serve it in lettuce wraps with some black bean and corn salsa. Put a dab of sour cream on top...Oh Doctor!! So good!


Ingredients:
4 to 6 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts (or use a combo of skinless thighs and breasts)
drizzle of olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 red/orange bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped (I like to leave the seeds in for heat)
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (fire roasted, or seasoned with green chiles is nice)

Directions:
Place chicken into slow cooker and drizzle with a small amount of olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, and all other dry seasonings. Top with chopped bell peppers and your jalapeno. Cover with tomatoes and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6. (No peeking! Just let it cook.)

Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred meat with two forks. Return to pot to keep warm. Serve on tortillas of choice. Garnish ideas: sour cream, avocado, black olives, black beans, shredded cheese.

LESLIE'S NOTES: If you have a lot of sauce in your crockpot after serving the chicken, put it in a freezer safe zip lock bag and freeze. It makes a great base for chicken tortilla soup!

Pin It!

17 comments:

  1. I have a whole chicken in the freezer I have been wanting to cook up in the crock pot for dinners and I love this idea. I could just debone and then season and I would have enough for a couple of meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! That's how I usually make chicken for burritos or tacos. I boil a whole chicken on the stove and then save the stock for other dishes.

      Delete
  2. Looks really tasty! I love using my crock pot and am always searching for new ways to use it. Thanks for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie,
    It's only 8:30 in the morning and this looks so yummy! I want one now! I love Mexican food and anything I can cook in the crock pot is a plus. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. I can't wait to see what you link up next. Have a great weekend.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. leslie, these are beautiful! can you call a burrito beautiful? :) yum. thanks for linking to foodie friday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought it looked beautiful too! Food can be pretty! :)

      Delete
  5. Wow! You're right, this sounds perfect for summer. I just love Mexican Food and always looking for new recipes. Thank you for sharing at Freedom Fridays! Have a super cool weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great. I have a Blog Hop, and I would love it if you would link this post. You can find it at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/07/3-face-masks-from-your-kitchen-and.html
    It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop.
    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my..now I love the crocker and these look really really great! Saw you over at Six Sisters!! Thanks for sharing this post!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I found you at the Creative Thursday link party. This is a great slow cooker recipe - perfect for hot summer days when the last thing you want to do is heat up your house. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks really good! I need to use my slow cooker more -- will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum Leslie. I also linked in to Couponing and Cooking with spicy mince lettuce cups. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds fantastic! I will be using my crock pot more in the coming weeks and i'll have to add this to my recipe list! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum Yum. These burritos look amazing! Thanks so much for sharing on Marvelous Mondays!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used this recipe for enchiladas Tuesday night. I topped them with green chili and cheese. My husband LOVED them! Thank you, Leslie, for your continued inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! Glad you liked it! Your enchiladas sound fantastic!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...