Thursday, November 29, 2012

Taco Pie


Very few dishes are as easy to put together as this one. I especially like it because it combines three things I love: Tacos, cornbread, and my iron skillet. 

I kept things simple by going with a boxed cornbread mix. You can easily switch that out for your own recipe of homemade cornbread if you like.

I have it featured here with some additional cheese and fresh cilantro. But feel free to garnish it with any kind of taco toppings you like. My daughter likes it with salsa, sour cream, and avocado. Throw a salad and maybe some pinto beans on the plate, and you've got yourself a top notch dinner! Enjoy!


Ingredients:
1 1/2 Lbs ground beef
1 med white or yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp cumin
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1 1/2 cups freshly grated cheddar cheese
1 8.5 oz box corn bread mix
1 egg
1/3 cup milk

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
In a large iron skillet, about 3 inches deep, brown your ground beef and onion. Just until beef starts to crumble and onion softens. Drain off fat. Add minced garlic and seasonings, mix well. Stir in tomato paste. Top with grated cheddar cheese. Remove from heat and set aside. In a small bowl, combine your cornbread mix with egg and milk, stir well. Poor mixture on top of the cheese. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Garnish with taco toppings of choice. 
Serves 4 to 6

Taco Pie will be participating in these fantastic LINK PARTIES
Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. I love cumin in just about anything! This looks good, fast and easy! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just perfect after all those leftover turkey dishes from the holiday. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks tasty! I like that you used a boxed corn bread, this time of year I am just happy to get dinner on the table. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried your recipe last night and it was sooo good and easy. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
    2. I'm so happy you liked it!

      Delete
  4. I agree with Diane, this sounds wonderful after nothing but turkey!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lovely, I'm your new follower from Blog Hop.
    Love your awesome blog. Feel free to check out & follow my blog @ revampspunkyrena.blogspot.com
    xoxo
    Rena

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an awesome recipe I'm pinning this... easy to put together and no one in the family will say they don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm definitely making this one night this week!

    Thanks for sharing with my NO RULES Weekend Blog Party :)

    Paula
    lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing! I am copying it down to try it! Thanks. Stopping by from Freedom Friday. Have a great weekend.

    Ashley @ Bottles, Diapers... Babies
    http://forgetfulmomma.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just sprinkled this post at all my favorite places: Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest:) Thank you for sharing at Freedom Fridays and thank you for being one of my five faves!

    Hope your week is filled with blessings:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...