Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Chicken Vindaloo

I have been meaning to post this recipe for quite some time now. I spent the better part of this past week thinking that my computer wasn't working. Turns out it was fine, and that I am simply an airhead...That's a whole other long, very silly, story.

So without any further ado...(ahem)

My daughter turned 18 last month and asked me to make Indian food for her party. No pressure there!
(Indian food is not my forte.) In fact, I had never tried making it before now. It's the type of food we go out for. 

Trying not to panic, I scoured the internet for an Indian dish that would be simple enough for a first-timer like me, yet impressive enough for a birthday dinner. I ran a few choices by my daughter, and Chicken Vindaloo it is! 


Rich with spices, and absolutely delicious! I can't believe I had never made this before!
Dinner was a HUGE hit at the birthday party and with my whole family. Even my picky-snicky 15 year old loved it!

I have made this dish several times since the party and have played around with it just a bit.

 When you look at the list of ingredients, you'll see my mention of Vindaloo Paste. I bought a jar of it while I was out shopping for spices and I'm SO glad I did! It's an excellent alternative for those of you who don't usually keep the spices needed for this dish in your pantry. I have it listed as an either/or in my recipe. So, you can make this dish using either the spice mix blend or the vindaloo paste. I have made it using both, and it's excellent either way!

Chicken Vindaloo with warm Naan, and coconut curry rice with lime. For the rice: Follow directions on package of Basmati rice. Simply add 1 to 2 tsp curry powder and 1/4 cup coconut milk the last 10 minutes of cooking. When rice is ready, squeeze a lime over it and fluff with fork. So good!


Ingredients:
1 Tbs turmeric
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp hot paprika
1 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
OR: Instead of mixing your own spice blend above, substitute with 2 to 3 Tbs Vindaloo Paste (can be found in any grocery store that carries International food items)

2 Lbs boneless, skinless, chicken thighs (cut into bite size pieces)
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped, divided
salt and pepper
juice of 2 limes
2 Tbs vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 2-inch piece of ginger root, freshly grated or minced
2 bay leaves
1 Fresno chili pepper (for moderate heat) seeded and finely chopped
OR: 1 Habanero pepper (for intense heat) seeded and finely chopped
1 15oz can petite diced tomatoes
1 cup chicken stock
freshly chopped cilantro, for garnish

Directions:
Combine spice blend in a small bowl. *If using Vindaloo Paste, skip this step.
Place chicken pieces in a shallow dish and mix with half of the spice blend, *or 1 Tbs Vindaloo Paste, half of the chopped garlic, salt and pepper, and lime juice. Cover and let stand for 45 minutes.

When chicken has finished marinating, heat oil in a large deep skillet over med/high heat. Add the onion, ginger, remaining garlic, bay leaves, and chili pepper. Season with salt and remaining half of spice blend, *or 1 Tbs Vindaloo Paste.

Cook, stirring frequently, about 7-8 minutes to soften. Add in tomatoes and stock, bring to a boil. Add in the chicken and cover the skillet partially with lid to allow some steam to escape. Reduce heat to med/low and let the chicken simmer in the sauce for about 20 minutes. Serve over Basmati rice. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro. Serves 4-6.

Adapted from a recipe by Rachael Ray
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. From the spices listed, this sounds delicious (even though I've never eaten Indian food. That first photo is excellent. You are a brave woman to tackle recipes outside your comfort zone AND for such a special occassion!! Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Coleen! And thank you for saying my photo looks good! lol I struggle with photos SO much! Merry Christmas!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...