Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Grandma June's Super Simple Granola

"No one who cooks, cooks alone. Even at her most solitary, a cook in the kitchen is surrounded by generations of cooks past, the advice and menus of cooks present, the wisdom of cookbook writers."

I love this quote. Especially the part about being surrounded by generations of cooks past.


Some of my fondest memories of childhood were the times I spent in Austin, visiting my Grandparents. I will always remember how beautiful their home was. My Grandma's garden. My Paw Paw's record player. And all the wonderful smells coming from their kitchen. Ah...heaven!


I figured it's about time I shared one of my Grandma's wonderfully smelling recipes. I don't think a blog about cooking is really bona fide without a recipe from Grandma. (And yes...I just said bona fide) Don't ask me where I got that word! Must be from all this nostalgia...


This recipe is a favorite that has stood the test of time. I have had friends I went to high school with call and ask me for it.
(My mom always had snacks waiting for us after school.) Brownies, sheet cakes, or my Grandma's granola. What a compliment, to have people calling 25 years later asking how to make it! Grandma would be tickled pink!



Ingredients:
3 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup raisins (I substitute Craisins)
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup chopped walnuts/pecans
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 TBS cinnamon
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Directions:
Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Mix honey and oil in a small bowl.
Add to oat mixture and combine well.
Spread on to 2 baking sheets.
Bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes.
*Do not over bake.
Store in airtight containers
Makes approximately 8 cups

My Grandma - June Pierce

For my Cousins, my Aunts, my Mother, and Myself ((love))
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Where did you buy your jar?
    I'm making granola for family tomorrow, perfect timing! :) I love your Grandma's name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found this jar at Target several years ago. They had a few different sizes. Hope you can find some!

      Delete
  2. This granola looks delicious!! Your grandmother is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made it tonight for family Xmas gifts...smells amazing and so yummy! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...