Thursday, January 17, 2013

Churro Puffs

Welcome to my new favorite thing!
These little lovelies have all the yummy goodness of a churro, but without the fuss. 
 Ooh..are they good! Like crazy good!

My daughter walked in just as I was dusting them with the cinnamon sugar mix; she quickly popped one in her mouth, looked at me, and said, "Okay, these...THESE...are deadly!" (Trust me, that's a compliment!)


These were SO easy to make! Even a non-baker (like me), can have them whipped up in no time. Light, airy, with the perfect touch of sweetness. I have found a new "go to" treat for my family. 


Ingredients:
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup + 2 Tbs all-purpose flour
3 Tbs cornstarch
1/4 (slightly heaping) tsp baking soda
1/4 (heaping) tsp fine sea salt
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup canola oil
3/4 cup + 2 Tbs club soda
Directions:
Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Grease a 24 - cup mini-muffin pan with canola spray.
In a paper sack or deep pie plate, combine sugar and cinnamon. Set aside
In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt.
In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and oil. Add the egg/oil mixture and the club soda to the flour mixture.
Using a fork, whisk the wet ingredients into the flour mixture, quickly. *Do not over-mix! A few little lumps are fine.
Pour the batter (equally) into the mini-muffin pan. (the cups should be almost filled).
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes; until crispy on the outside and golden in color. *Turn on oven light and watch closely!
Cool in pan for just a minute. Remove in batches, and toss in cinnamon/sugar mix.
Serve warm
Recipe adapted from Black Jack Bake House
This recipe will be participating in these link parties
Pin It!

18 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE churros, so I had to try this recipe. My husband is vegan, so I substituted applesauce for the egg. These are DELICIOUS and super easy to make! I didn't have a mini-muffin pan, so I just used my regular muffin pan. I also tried using a cookie sheet, but they ended up flat (still tasted good though). Definitely making more of these soon! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Liz! I'm so glad the applesauce worked for you! Yes, you do need a mini muffin pan to get the "puff" part of these. Glad they still tasted good! :)

      Delete
  2. I love churros and I will definitely try these! I just followed your blog! Yum!

    Leenie
    www.undecidedmamas.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I love love love churros. Sometimes I make a stop to Costco, JUST for a churro ; ) I can't wait to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Churros are one of my faves, too! These are super yummy! Enjoy

      Delete
  4. A cup of coffee would go great with these. I'm currently hosting a giveaway to win a $20 Starbucks gift card and would love for you to enter! http://sarahsaturdiy.blogspot.com/2013/01/love-is-in-air-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will definitely try these, they look amazing! I just followed your blog!
    Christi
    www.the-not-so-perfect-momblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never before wished I had club soda! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, these look great! I found you at the Happy Hour Friday Party and I’ve become your newest follower on GFC. I’m also hosting a party this week and I would love for you to come by and share this at my party - Fluster’s Creative Muster.
    http://www.flusterbuster.com/2013/01/flusters-creative-muster-party-4.html

    Hugs and Smiles,

    Robin
    @ Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! Why don't I have any club soda in this house!? I'm pinning this for later and adding club soda to the grocery list, lol! They look so scrumptious=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Thanks for pinning! They are so good! Enjoy!

      Delete
  9. Mine tasted better the next day.* I * a m * b u y i n g * m o r e * c l u b * s o d a :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't keep any around to make it to the next day! But yes, I will now be keeping club soda in the house, too! :)

      Delete
  10. Can I substitute ginger ale?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lois! Honestly, I am not sure on the ginger ale. Before I attempted to make this dish, I looked up the information on club soda. It's higher in sodium, but lower in sugars. I think this is pertinent to this dish. If you do go with the ginger ale, PLEASE come back and let me know how it turns out. I'd love to know!

      Delete
  11. I've never had churros, but they look amazing and these puffs look even MORE amazing :) YUM.
    Stopping by from Sundae Scoop - pinned to share.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...